Perspectives from ISB

A few days before the National Civil Services Day, April 21, 2024, I had the privilege of meeting and conversing with Prabhjot Singh, IAS, Special Secretary of Personnel, Training, and Parliamentary Affairs for the Government of Haryana.

Alongside ten members from ISB community including faculty, staff and an alumna, I was captivated by Prabhjot’s diverse professional background, which included stints as an engineer at Vodafone, a lecturer at Lovely Professional University, and a scientist at ISRO. His breadth of experience provided a unique lens through which he shared insights on governance and thoughtfully addressed our queries.

In my role at ISB, I lead the Punjab Good Governance Fellowship Programme, a platform for young professionals to collaborate with seasoned civil servants. When discussing the value of integrating young professionals in supporting administrative roles, he expressed his appreciation for the fresh perspectives and energy they bring. I also shared my firsthand experience with the Chief Minister’s Good Governance Associates Programme in Haryana, where fellows had supported Mr Prabhjot during his tenure as Deputy Commissioner in Sirsa.

Moreover, he emphasised the weight of responsibility entrusted to even newly appointed IAS officers, who often find themselves making decisions of significant public importance early in their careers—a responsibility unparalleled in other professions. Addressing a question on protests, he affirmed the fundamental right to peaceful assembly, stressing the importance of maintaining public order.

As our interaction drew to a close, I inquired about his motivation behind launching a motivational YouTube channel. His response revealed a genuine passion for sharing knowledge, particularly in the realm of science.

Overall, engaging with Prabhjot Singh was an enlightening experience. His distinguished career trajectory, both prior to and after joining civil services, coupled with his humility and transparency, left a lasting impression on me.

In the run-up to the Civil Services Day on April 21, the Office of External Relations organised a series of interactive lunch meetings where civil servants shared their journey and accomplishments with the ISB community.

Leave a Message

Registration isn't required.

By commenting you accept the Privacy Policy