The Long Haul: Felix Fiege on Five Generations of Logistics

By | November 28, 2016|Family Business|

Taking a business from one horse-drawn cart to an international logistics firm is no easy task, but that is exactly what Germany’s Fiege family has accomplished over five generations. Fieges’ road to success has been paved with their unerring work ethic, smart business decisions, and wise succession planning. In just five generations, the business went [...]

106-year-old family business adjusts to markets, seizes opportunities to stay viable

By | November 18, 2016|Family Business|

Louis Gelder moved from Chicago to Millburg, Mich., near Benton Harbor, bought a hardware store, changed its name and started making high-end leather harnesses for wagons and buggies along with selling hardware and household products in 1910. Business was good through the decades as Louis reacted to trends, such as adding the production of barrels [...]

Conflicts of interest at White House

By | November 15, 2016|Family Business|

Donald Trump is President-elect of the United States of America. He brings with him potential conflicts of interest across all areas of government that are unprecedented in American history. It will be interesting to observe how the Trump administration manages these conflicts of interests, even as more and more business families enter politics.  Trump, has [...]

Germany’s Reimann family acquires Asian coffee company

By | November 15, 2016|Family Business|

JAB Holding is the investment vehicle of Germany’s Reimann family, one of Europe’s wealthiest business families. JAB Holdings is controlled by the second generation of Germany’s Reimann family: Renate Reimann-Haas, Wolfgang Reimann, Stefan Reimann-Andersen, and Matthias Reimann-Andersen. Forbes has estimated that these four family members who control JAB Holding have a combined wealth of more [...]

Chinese Family Businesses Cautious and Conservative about Future

By | November 4, 2016|Family Business|

As per biannual 2016 Family Business Survey conducted by Pricewaterhouse Coopers, the economic climate is hurting Chinese family businesses, with 75 per cent of Hong Kong businesses citing market conditions as their biggest challenge for the next 12 months. As a result, Chinese and Hong Kong family businesses are now more cautious, with 65 per [...]

Australian Mineral Tycoon Invests in the UK

By | November 4, 2016|Family Business|

Hancock Prospecting is an Australian mineral exploration and extraction, privately owned, company that holds the rights to some of world's largest iron ore deposit. Gina Rinehart is chairman of Hancock Prospecting, a company founded by her father Lang Hancock. Rinehart has inherited 76.6% of the company with the remaining 23.4% constituting the Hope Margaret Hancock [...]

Load More Posts